Essential oils may help you relax and get a better night’s sleep. Although many essential oils can be used to help you relax or make it easier to fall asleep, a few oils are particularly effective.
The top five essential oils for insomnia are lavender, chamomile, bergamot, sandalwood, and mandarin.
- Lavender, an herb that produces one of the most popular essential oils, can be grown in a garden. This bushy plant produces pale violet flowers that bloom all summer. Its varied uses include aiding with digestion, improving mood, calming the nervous system, relaxing the body, and enabling blissful sleep. This essential oil is often used in a warm bath or with a diffuser, also known as a “mist maker.”
- The flowers from the chamomile plant are the only part used to make this therapeutic essential oil. As a tea, it is used to calm an upset stomach. Used in aromatherapy, it is most effective in reducing insomnia. It has a fruity, slightly sweet fragrance and both the German and Roman chamomiles are good for reducing insomnia.
- Extracted from citrus fruit rind, bergamot has a lovely citrus scent that creates a sense of well-being and a feeling of being refreshed. It relieves stress and enables an individual to relax. Interestingly, bergamot is the main ingredient in Earl Grey tea.
- Sandalwood comes from wood of the sandalwood tree. To produce the proper intensity of oil for therapeutic purposes, the tree must be at least 30 to 40 years old. The older the tree, the better the quality of oil; a tree 80 years old will produce excellent oils. Sandalwood is a calming agent that relieves nervous tension and helps a person relax.
- Mandarin can be formulated into two different types of oil, one green and the other red. Among its many advantages, mandarin is gentle enough to use with children as well as adults. Interestingly, its scent is closer to that of a bergamot oil and less like the tangerine it’s expected to smell like. Mandarin oil has been shown to be a successful treatment for sleep difficulties and may be almost as effective as lavender.