What Do I Need to Know?
ALLEGRA Learning has many courses and certificate programs that
- fulfill the approved continuing education contact hour requirement to sit for the national holistic nursing certification exam AND
- fulfill the approved continuing education requirement for holistic nursing recertification.
Several of ALLEGRA Learning’s certificate programs, including the Certificate in Holistic and Integrative Health and the Certificate in Spirituality, Health, and Healing, have been nationally endorsed by the American Holistic Nurses Association.
The Certificate in Holistic and Integrative Health program provides a solid foundation in holistic and integrative health concepts.
In addition, ALLEGRA Learning offers numerous other courses and programs in many areas that are relevant to holistic nurses and can be used for fulfilling CE requirements. Click here for a complete listing of courses and certificate programs.
You may also want to obtain either of these two textbooks to use as a study guide:
- Core Curriculum for Holistic Nursing
- Holistic Nursing: A Handbook for Practice
The Purpose of Certification
Certification refers to an earned credential that demonstrates specialized knowledge, skills, and experience. Certification is a voluntary process of validating knowledge, skills, and abilities beyond the scope of the nursing (or other healthcare) license. Certification is awarded by a third-party, nongovernmental entity.
Certification candidates receive their credential only after they meet strict eligibility criteria and successfully completing a standardized exam. Credentials are nationally recognized and they are also portable so they can be used in all states and all organizations. Certification credentials are often good for a period of time (such as 5 years) and include ongoing requirements that must be met to keep the certification current.
The recertification process usually includes a combination of continuing education and experience in the subject area to ensure that credential holders have maintained a specific level of expertise in their specialty and that they participate in activities that support competency in their specialty.
How Do I Get Certified?
The American Holistic Nurses’ Credentialing Corporation (AHNCC) offers certification for holistic nurses. Nurses are certified at three levels. The HN-BC Certification is for registered nurses who do not hold a Baccalaureate in Nursing; The HNB-BC is for registered nurses who have a Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing; and the AHN-BC is for registered nurses who hold a graduate degree in nursing. ALLEGRA Learning’s courses are accredited by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) and several certificate programs are also nationally endorsed by the American Holistic Nurses Association. Many of these courses/certificate programs meet the education requirements for the AHNCC national certification exam in holistic nursing.
The following tips may assist you in getting certified as a Holistic Nurse:
- Go to the American Holistic Nurses’ Credentialing Corporation and click on the “Certification” tab. Select either “Holistic Nursing: Basic” or “Holistic Nursing: Advanced.”
- Download the appropriate application and “Core Essentials” documents. (Advanced practice nurses may also need to download additional documents. Please check with AHNCC Website for details.)
- Carefully review the Eligibility Criteria information as well as information about the contents of the application, the Self-Reflective Assessment, and the Holistic Nursing Certification Examination.
- Contact the American Holistic Nurses’ Credentialing Corporation for any questions at 512-528-9210 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
How Do I Get Recertified?
- Go to the American Holistic Nurses’ Credentialing Corporation.
- Click on the “Recertification” tab and carefully review the information provided.
- Go to the bottom of the page and download all applicable documents.
Once I Am Certified…Then What?
If you are seeking information about how to best utilize your Holistic Nursing Certification, we can help.
Contact us at email@example.com for a free 30-minute consultation about your “next steps.” We can help you with resources and options for creating a holistic nursing practice that best suits your personal passion and vision. For further assistance, private consultations are available on request for a fee of $100 per hour. Contact us for further information about this unique option to support your holistic nursing practice.
ALLEGRA Learning also offers a Certificate in Starting Your Own Business in Health and Healing. This innovative certificate program provides all you need to know about starting your own holistic health and wellness practice. Filled with expert advice, forms, guidelines, and resources to help you begin your own holistic nursing business, this certificate program is a “must-have” guide for the any holistic nurse.