CONTACT HOURS: 3.50
AOTA CEUs: 0.35
You Are Not Enrolled In This Course.
Pain assessment and management are especially important for high-quality end-of-life care. To provide quality care to individuals at this stage of their lives, health care practitioners must be particularly skilled at assessing pain, understanding misconceptions of pain management, addressing cultural issues in pain management, and providing effective pain therapies.
The outcome of this course is for the learner to provide an overview of pain assessment and management for patients of all ages during their end-of-life care, including a description of how to address cultural considerations and pharmacologic and nonpharmacologic management techniques of pain at the end of life.
Course Objectives - Upon completion you will be able to do the following:
- Define pain.
- Describe how pain affects the individual at end-of-life.
- State common misconceptions and facts about pain.
- Explain the pathophysiology of pain.
- Identify the various types of pain.
- Describe pain behaviors.
- Explain the influence of culture on expressions of pain and on pain management.
- Identify the key elements of pain assessment.
- Describe barriers to effective pain management.
- Describe key terms and the key elements of pharmacologic pain management
- Describe key elements of nonpharmacologic pain management.
- Describe the special considerations involved in treating a patient with a current or past history of substance abuse.
- Describe the special considerations involved in managing escalating, severe pain.
- Identify special issues related to end-of-life care and the pediatric patient.
Nurses, health care professionals, and interested individuals
Criteria for Successful Completion
Complete the course post exam (CE Test) with a score of 80% or greater. Complete all fields of the course Evaluation Form.
Certificate of Completion is provided for individual courses once the course post exam is passed per criteria above.
Certificate of Completion is provided for certificate programs once all of the courses within the certificate program have been successfully completed per criteria above.
Practice Level (For Occupational Therapy Only): Intermediate
Content Focus (For Occupational Therapy Only): Occupational Therapy Process
Commercial Support No commercial support has been received for this activity.
Health Care Administration
Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Undefined class constant 'WPML_CHECKBOX_SELECTED' in /var/www/html/allegralearning.com/wp-content/plugins/types/application/models/field/part/option.php:139
#0 /var/www/html/allegralearning.com/wp-content/plugins/types/application/models/field/abstract.php(219): Types_Field_Part_Option->get_value()
#1 /var/www/html/allegralearning.com/wp-content/plugins/types/application/models/field/part/option.php(225): Types_Field_Abstract->get_value_filtered(Array, Object(Types_Field_Part_Option))
#2 /var/www/html/allegralearning.com/wp-content/plugins/types/application/models/field/type/checkbox/view/frontend.php(33): Types_Field_Part_Option->get_value_filtered(Array)
#3 /var/www/html/allegralearning.com/wp-content/plugins/types/application/models/field/view.php(42): Types_Field_Type_Checkbox_View_Frontend->get_value()
#4 /var/www/html/allegralearning.com/wp-content/plugins/types/application/models/field/service.php(137): Types_Field_View->render()
#5 /var/www/html/allegralearning.com/wp-cont in /var/www/html/allegralearning.com/wp-content/plugins/types/application/models/field/part/option.php on line 139